Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Q & A: Can I claim my TAFE fees?


I was asked earlier today a question I often hear: Can I claim my TAFE fees as a tax deduction? The answer really depends on your individual situation.

You can claim self-education expenses only if they are directly related to your CURRENT employment (such as a secretary taking a Business Administration certificate).

Typically, the person asking is attending TAFE in order to change careers or get back into the workforce. Unfortunately both of these circumstances would not allow them to claim a deduction for their TAFE fees.


0 comments:

The comments provided in this blog are general in nature and not intended to be specific advice. Each situation is different. You should discuss your circumstances with Alan (or another tax agent) to obtain individual advice before acting on any information.